Tuesday, September 9, 2008

preserve everyday

Our family has been using Preserve products since I saw them in my grocery store a few years back. I was always bothered how toothbrushes were just thrown away. If you think about it... if you follow the ADA recommendations and change your brush at least every three months, that's four a year. Multiply that by all the people in th U.S and that's a whole lot of toothbrushes in the landfills!!!

Here is a company that has partnered up with Stonyfield Farms Yogurt that recycles their clean used yogurt containers into Recycline products. That's right....toothbrushes, razors, kitchen plastics and tableware. And the best part, it's bisphenol-A (BPA) and phthalates FREE! Oh, there is one more really good part....they will take your Recycline toothbrushes and razor handles back and recycle them into plastic lumber for park benches. How cool is that?

O.k. so the real reason why I am posting this on my blog is to share my joy that I no longer have to save all the #5 plastics that come through my household. I have been saving #5 plastics for a million years and have garbage bags full in my basement. I HATE throwing plastic away that is not recyclable in my town. (I know I sound a little bananas) But now I no longer have to save them. Recycline is now accepting all #5 plastics for recycling through their Gimmie 5 program. The only stipulations are they must be no larger that 2x2x2 and must be very clean. Cleaner containers make cleaner recycling.

This is directly from their website:

Here’s how you can Gimme 5!

Many common food containers – yogurt cups, sour cream containers,
hummus tubs, ketchup bottles – are #5 plastics.
We accept any CLEAN whole plastic item with a #5 stamp on the bottom.
Please check to make sure that there are no other materials (paper, screws,
other number plastics) on the items that you send to us.
All #5 plastics sent to Preserve must measure no more
than 2’ x 2’ x 2’.
Make sure that the #5 plastics are clean –
the cleaner the plastic, the cleaner the recycling process.
To help make this program a win for the environment, it is important that you send your plastics back to us via ground shipping (as opposed to air). Reuse a box if you can!
Shipments should weigh at least 5 pounds and no more than 50 pounds. Any package greater than 50 pounds must be pre-approved by Recycline.
Make sure to include your return address on the box and add your name and email address inside the box so we can thank you for your good work.

Send Gimme 5 shipments to:
Preserve Gimme 5
823 NYS Rte 13
Cortland NY 13045

If you have any questions about the Gimme 5 program or need to get a shipment approved,
call us at 888-354-7296.

0 comments: